Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Consider it the start of greater things

I'm finally doing it. After six weeks, I've finally gotten the nerve to blog about my adventures/mishaps of my last semester at Cal State Long Beach. What I had written before was rather melodramatic; kind of pathetic, really. It's been such a long time since I've really written about my life in any detailed fashion. Yes, I may have a slight addiction to twitter, where I tend to share the tidbits and tidings of my daily routine, but this is a little different. It's more...personalized.

As I enter my seventh week of Spring semester, I can't help but to feel a little victorious. Eight weeks ago, I couldn't fathom the idea of waking up before sunrise, let alone stay on top of my game school-wise. But it's happened. I've grown up. I realize it's taken me almost a decade to come to my senses, to realize what I was good at, and what I should aim for, but a decade is better than never. This isn't Irvine Valley College anymore. I'm not nineteen and sleeping in until noon, going to Disneyland for the afternoon instead of class. I don't even know that girl anymore and while I realize that is disgustingly cliche, it's true. I came to Cal State Long Beach completely terrified that I would fail. I was never supposed to transfer. I was going to get stuck in that little community college forever. I was going to eventually give up and find a job, like most everyone I knew in high school, (minus a kid). But, for whatever reason God only knows, it didn't happen that way. Failure wasn't in my future. Failure still isn't in my future.

There are a few people I never had the opportunity to thank on my way here and I wish I could have the chance to do so. I wish I could give them a big hug for allowing me this open door of possibilities. There was Ms. Lechuga, who was filled with nothing but mercy and gave me that 52.76% on my final which I so desperately needed to pass. There was Bob Miller, who never gave me the answers to any of the questions, but allowed me to figure it out myself. To this day, I don't believe he knew how much his advice, guidance, support and friendship meant to me. Even if he's watching down on me now, I know he's not taking any credit. That's just how he was and that is why he is always going to have a special place in my heart.

With about ten weeks of school left, I feel excitement. Sure, there's a little fear there as well, but it's the good kind, the kind that keeps you on your toes and gives you reasons to keep going. I may be stressed and tired and anxious for the semester to end, but I know that when it does I'm going to feel a little sad. This is where I've grown as a person. This is where I've gained confidence as a writer. This is where the beginning of my adventure really began.

This campus, this beautiful melting pot, is my stepping stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment